7.16.2015

Untitled Poem

 Untitled Poem 

                                        Forbearance is how I bear this                                          
Patient pain of guilty conscience
Kissing away my common sense
There’s a cost to each soft sip
Excruciating, alleviating, debating
The dangers of this tasting...

Shameful shamelessness cloaks my aimlessness
Careful chaos, 50 respectively, on black and red each
Wagering a paradox on semantic sameness
To lose the silk chains of crafted speech
Innovating, restating, manipulating
The rules of my approximating 

Vicious apathy brewed masterfully washes down your casualty
Sipping casually the coarse cocktail of selfishness
Caring costs, causes Self consciousness of its superficiality
So feast of inexact actuality and relish the bliss of undecidedness
Liberating, exhilarating, postulating,
My passions decide my actuating

Forthwith, this is the fourth hit
The fourth and final kiss of flesh and death
Living on the edge of grinning lips
Gripping the bloody soul of my inner chest
Intoxicating, elevating, escalating
Begging me the question, “what am I trading?”

. . .

To live or not to live,
Is to give or not to give,
For life will take twice
For each and every gift

To face the tick of time
As life folds into death
Leads a man to wonder
What is worth his breath?

If between birth and earth
Is all I stand to lose,
What is worth my winning?
And how am I to choose?

The timid may take little
And suffer just the same
The choice is only yours
What pleasure for what pain

If I must give to live
When death does finally call
Let my living echo
I gave to life my all.


- Quin McGlaughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment