7.08.2013

The Ecclesiastes Moan

The Ecclesiastes Moan 
Quin McGlaughlin
10.12.2012


With such frequently fortuitous fortitude
I’m fortunate to forget my fickle fits
Of feigned forgetfulness amidst my ineptitude
For the four times or more that I’ve given in

What do I mean? What do you mean?
This mean symmetrical cemetery of seeming
Seething beseeching by my closest enemies
Imposing on me my destiny and other things

What do I believe? Why would I believe?
Things I can’t see seem more appealing
Than those I can see visibly which are appalling
Forgive my deafness, all I can hear is this calling

Why not defy these indefinite dreams of things
That can be seen and useless amassing
Those dreams are but schemes and trappings
To disguise the lie about living and what it means
Think. . .

Why not try and dare to ask why?
Like why do I work and why do I try
To climb figurative ladders and lie
About how I feel about my life

Why try harder to forget than to fix?
Until we don’t even enjoy our sins
We placate with anesthetic get-togethers
And converse modestly about the weather

They sacrifice true life to die well
Well, I’d rather die living and not a shell
Pray tell people, isn’t there more?
Teacher, what is worth living for?


This is the Ecclesiastes moan.


- Quin McGlaughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment